Wednesday, March 9, 2011

New Finds...

I love our local charity shop. It accepts donations of gently used household items & clothing for sale. The building is supplied by our community, the staff is very small & the volunteers carry the load. All the funds raised thru the sales of items come back to our community in the form of grants for local non-profits. The items are amazing & so reasonably priced that I don't ever go to the VV, GW or SA outlets because I find their stuff often dirty, broken & over priced.


I love my new "Mom" pot. It cost an entire $1 & my plan is to pot a nice spring plant in it, something that will flower all year. This piece of pottery is perfect for my new scrapbooking/painting/writing/library room that is slowly coming into it's own. Pictures to follow one day, once I'm done gathering & the renovations are complete. For now, the new finds!


The new lamp for my desk. Crystal bottom with rosettes in pink & green on the bottom of the shade. I love the soft glow it casts on the walls & the ceiling. The cost? Found at the Antique Mall for $5.


Not quite vintage but still fits within the theme of the space. I loved this the moment I found it & for the very reseasonable fee of .75 cents, who can argue the price on such a pretty paintbrush holder. I never envisioned it as a vase, even though that is the most likely the intended use for it. But in my space, for all my paintbrushes, its perfect!


Beautiful vintage, brocade tiny purse. I have this hanging in our living room on the door handle of my grandmother's antique corner cabinet where we store many of her things gifted to us, like her silver collection, pictures & letters. This purse was discovered at a store that sells vintage items out in the country when we were out for a weekend drive. We paid an incredible $8 for it.

I've discovered that the Bear (my husband) & I are not alone in our quest to create a cozy haven with vintage items. There's a whole new world out there where others share this love of old. I've found the most intriguing websites & blogs that share the journey of others who are busy each day collecting, reusing & treasure hunting. Unfortunately, we do not live in an area where there are frequent sales like seem to happen in the U.S. but we do have weekly garage sales in the spring & summer, we have our favorite charity shop & we visit the Antique Mall in the city often. We've even discovered on our travels that other communities will have the kinds of shops we love to spend hours in, so a new favorite traveling activity is "treasure hunting."


Can't wait for our next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment