Saturday, May 14, 2011

New Teapot ...

One of my favorite childhood memories is going to my gramma & grampa's house after piano lessons each week. The music teacher lived down the street from their house, which was across the street from my school.

It was one day a week that I didn't have to go to childcare.

It was one day a week that I walked into a warm house, with an unlocked door, cookies cooling on a plate & a warm cup of tea poured just as I came up the walk.

Tea at gramma & grampa's house was really just warm milk with drops of tea in it but I felt grown up with my own china tea cup. And anytime all the family was together, out came all the tea cups, all different, for all the grandkids.

After gramma died, grampa invited us to the house to take home our tea cups. I had mine until the year we had a house fire. It was one of the only precious things that was lost that I was upset about, partly because I had never thought to take a picture of it. I have a picture in my head of the pattern but have never come across one. In the fall, my aunt gave me a tea cup from her own collection, with a promise that each time I use it, I'll think of both her & gramma. It's not the same pattern but it comes with the same sentiment granted to me when I was 8 years old.

Collecting tea pots started a few years ago. I love looking for different colors & styles but always floral, vintage & fine china. Here's the latest find:


With the cream & sugar bowls:


I almost didn't buy this new treasure because I thought the small green leaves would not look well with our sage green walls. But I was wrong & it turns out, they are the perfect shade of green. Not bad for $12!

No comments:

Post a Comment